Sugar-free Blueberry Mojito



So lately I have been craving a mojito...probably because most restaurants have been closed and I can't easily get to one. So I thought, why not make my own?? Blueberries were also on sale, so since I had quite a few I decided I would include them in this recipe. The only thing I needed to go out and buy was rum. 

I made this recipe for two of our good friends Caitlyn and David who came over to our apartment, once the government announced that we were allowed to have another household over. They also got me an early birthday present: a beautiful mortar and pestle! So of course, I had to feature it in a few pictures I took with the leftover blueberry syrup and loads of rum left in the bottle!

This recipe has a super simple syrup that is infused with mint. It really makes the mint flavour pop! The secret ingredient I used in the mojito and mint syrup is xylitol. It is one of my favourite sweeteners to use that leaves me feeling guilt free!





Just 8 ingredients!

Produce
  • 1 cup fresh Blueberries
  • 1/2 Lime, cut into wedges
  • 10 fresh Mint leaves plus more
Condiments
  • 1 1/2 oz Lime juice, freshly squeezed
Baking & Spices
  • Xylitol or Sugar



For the Mint Simple Syrup:


  • 1/2 cup  (120g) Xylitol
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 2 Large Sprigs of Mint

Drinks
  • Sparkling water or seltzer or club soda
Frozen
  • 1 Ice
Liquor
  • 4 oz Rum
Instructions for Mint Syrup:

  1. Pour 1/2 cup of xylitol and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil until all the xylitol is dissolved, just a few minutes and make sure to stir. 
  2. Add the mint sprigs and cover to steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a container with a lid for storage in the refrigerator until ready to use. 


Instructions for Mojito:

  1. Place the blueberries in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water. Heat over medium-low heat until the berries burst and starts looking like jam. 
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of the blueberry puree in the bottom of the glass. If you want your mojito to be sweeter, add 3 or more tablespoons of the blueberry!
  3. Add the mint syrup and stir. 
  4. Add the fresh mint leaves and lime wedges. Muddle them in the bottom of the glass. 
  5. Add in crushed ice and top off with Club soda.
  6. Stir well and garnish with a lime wedge, more blueberries, and mint stem. 
  7. When finishing the mojito, have a spoon on hand to dig out the delicious blueberry bits!



Comments

Popular Posts